Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Fair is almost here!

Friday we start checking in animals and I still have so much to do.  It's raining today so I won't get any pans or buckets washed, but that is okay since Sprout's leathercraft project is due.  She's all done with it and has the paperwork ready to go even.  Sheep pen set up is right after that and it will determine where her pens are.  Beef and swine pens were done in the last several weeks so this is the last setup we have to do.  Helping set up and take down often determine where your pens are located.

We have record sheets to finish, but all her quizzes are done so we are a bit ahead.  I'm hoping to get FarmBoy and her to sit down and start filling out the other paperwork tonight.  We should be doing this a little more often, but with most things it is usually a last minute thing.  I bought a paper sorter last year that at least sorts the paperwork appropriately and has her purebred paperwork all together.  

Here's what I think I have left to do to get us to the fair
  1. wash pans and buckets and make sure I have enough for each animal
  2. iron Sprout's last 3 shirts 
  3. shine Spout's show boots
  4. fix food that will be taken with us each day
  5. wipe down all show boxes and load with the appropriate supplies
  6. wash drink cooler
  7. shave the pigs
I plan 3 sets of clothes for each show day in case she makes the cut and moves on.  Her first year her pig pooped down her pants the very first time we got him out of the pen for the first show.  Needless to say we were taking diaper wipes to her pants to be able to keep wearing them.  I learned my lesson.  I have ironed and set aside all but 3 shirts because I ran out of steam last night.  She will probably be the one to shine her boots, but it's on my list to make sure it's done.

Since I'm making ham salad and other things that have mayo in them I try not to make them too far in advance.  It won't take me too long to do it tomorrow night.  Tonight I'll get the shirts done and maybe cookies baked.  

It will all come together one way or another and we will load up the first animals on Friday morning and head off.  I'm working on Friday, but am on vacation all next week.  I keep the food moving and everybody clothed and fed.  In doing this hopefully don't lose my mind.  It's really fun once we get started.  I pray every morning that we remember we are blessed to be able to do this and have a good spirit about the visitors that come to the fair to see what we have and learn a just a little bit about the animals.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your blog post on my What Are You Doing? blog hop! Hope everything went well at the fair!

    ReplyDelete

The lasts

 It's been a month of lasts.  Today was my last install into my legacy system.  Tomorrow will be my last data conversion.  It's stra...