Tuesday, March 1, 2022

A new 4H year!

 Well 4H has officially kicked off here.  I was asked to be on our 4H council this year so slowly but surely I'm moving into doing things for Sprout and for me.  I haven't been volunteering much since she was born.  I just couldn't manage it with being on call, FarmBoy working and farming.  There just wasn't enough time for me to be effective.  I'm so looking forward to this.  

Meetings are starting to happen too.  This year we are just doing livestock, but next year I'm going to encourage her to do other things.  Depending on her reaction we might add another "paper" project yet.  She's not actually showing a sheep for herself this year.  We just don't have the time to train 3 species with her maybe doing summer cheerleading.  It's her least favorite animal and my most favorite, but it's not about me.  She will be choosing a topic to do a poster on so that she will not loose her years in the project.  We are still on track for 10 years in sheep, swine and beef.  She shows sheep for one of her friends every year in addition to her own so I'm sure she will do that again this year.  The friend has pure bred sheep and has too many that go into one class so other 4Hers are usually drafted to help out.  There's no pressure for her on this other than to do a good job for her friend.  She usually ends up with the one that isn't "top" pick from the friends sheep and that is okay.  Her friend should get the big ribbons since she put in the work.

Plans to revamp the barn pens are actively in discussion since there won't be sheep this year.  I think the pigs will be moving to their area and have a small outside covered area and their training run will move to a different location as a result.  It's going to take some work, but I think it will nice to see some changes out there.  I'm hoping all the new inside gates will allow the skidsteer in so there won't be as much hand cleaning.  At least that is what I have been told.  Sprout and I are going to try to change up the pigs diet to see if we can see some improvement in her placings.  

Our starter calves are coming from a new location this year so it could be really interesting how they do.  We aren't bottle feeding at all.  They are coming weaned.  I can't lie I'm grateful to not be mixing stuff.  The mess was a bit much.  She's "experienced" bottling calves and sheep so I don't think there is much left to learn on that front.  

I'd like for her to try growing some sort of plants or flowers this year, but that is a conversation we haven't had yet.....


No comments:

Post a Comment

The lasts

 It's been a month of lasts.  Today was my last install into my legacy system.  Tomorrow will be my last data conversion.  It's stra...