Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Back in the swing of things

 Well school has officially started as well as cheer practice.  Next Monday will be their first game.  Sprout seems to like all her teachers.  That is half the battle with her and school.  If she doesn't care for the teacher and is bored it is a bad combination.  It is one of the struggles we have with a really bright kid.  We've always had this problem, but last it seemed to be magnified with the way school was done with Covid rules.  Back to school night will happen this year so I actually get to meet the teachers.

Her social studies class is actually an AP class.  She didn't know until the teacher walked in the class and she is sooooo excited.  History and social studies is one of her favorite subjects.  I'm so hoping this means good things for her.  One of the joys in parenting a really smart kid is motivation.  She knows she can do it and doesn't really care if you know she can do it.  Part of her testing for her math issues were other IQ tests so we do know what we are dealing with as far as her intelligence.  We've always known, but now everyone who sees her records know too.

One of the things she has done this summer was to take several of the free on-line classes that Hillsdale College offers.  She did this all on her own.  I casually mentioned it to her and it went from there.  She loves doing that and loves searching for other learning opportunities that she can do on her own and at her own pace.  I'm hoping this year that she really starts showing this to teachers and that they will encourage this by offering additional materials/directions for her.  Since I actually get to meet her teachers I'm hoping to foster a bit of a relationship with them more like I did at her private school.  I find if they need something and I can provide it they are more willing to go above and beyond for her.  It's not exactly bribery, but whatever works to get her what she needs.

Because Sprout is an only child I don't want to homeschool her.  She needs the socialization with people that she will encounter in life in general.  Not everyone is smart, a Christian, like us, etc.  Public school provides this for sure.  It was a bit of a shock for her at first.  There was a girl that she didn't hit it off with when she first transferred that is in several of her classes this year.  I told her to give her another chance this year.  She's similar to Madelynn in lots of ways.  I reminded her that God keeps giving us second chances and she should do the same.  I'm not sure how far that will go, but I'm hoping it sinks in.  This is such a difficult age.  I've heard jr. high or middle school is the hardest.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

The lasts

 It's been a month of lasts.  Today was my last install into my legacy system.  Tomorrow will be my last data conversion.  It's stra...