Thursday, October 10, 2019

Fall is here and changes are coming.

Fall is definitely here where I live.  The nights are getting cooler and the days not so warm.  This weekend the real cool weather is supposed to move in and it may be here to stay.  I like fall and sweaters and such.  FarmBoy has gotten the combine out and run it for some testing, but what corn we have is too wet.  Hopefully things change in the next couple of weeks.  This is always a tough time for him.  He wants to get harvest under way, but the crop just isn't quite ready.  It's also later than usual because of the wet spring we had.  I'm just trying to keep up a good spirit and cook some good food.  It's time to pull out the recipe books and look for some fall items to cook.  I can still grill some, but not nearly as much as I do in the warmer months.  I'm planning on smoking some beef and maybe a pork roast this weekend so that I can have lunches and dinners for the next week.  I try to plan for things that can be easily heated up once harvest really starts because nights are late and going out is costly and not all that healthy.  Besides we live far enough from a town that fast food is very limited.

Sprout has decided after Christmas break that she wants to change schools and not wait until next year.  She's struggling this year with her teacher and how her accommodation plan is being implemented.  I'm still praying on this one.  I get that things aren't going as smoothly as she wants, but life doesn't go smooth so is it better to make her gut it out or change and maybe she will have a better result on learning her math.  She's my only child and I hurt for her when things like this come up.  She's facing some peer pressure that I think should be quashed by the teacher that isn't being quashed.  We are working through that with her.  I don't want to encourage her to run when the going gets tough, but I can see her frustration growing each day.  She loves to learn and other than math is very advanced.  Her teacher last year always had extra things for her to do when she was finished with her regular work.  She did this for several kids.  It gave her something to work towards.  She couldn't rush her normal work, but had to finish and it be checked before moving on to the additional items.  This year is not so much that way and she's having trouble with it. 

This will be a big change for her since she has never had more than 20 kids in her class and knows most of the kids in her school including ones in other grades.  I attended public school for all of my schooling so I know a bit of what she's going to face and I'm trying to prepare her for it.  I fully expect for there to be some bad days, but I also know she's smart, bubbly and really loves to learn so I just pray things will be good for her and it's a move to stretch her and not hold her back.  This totally changes the plans for Christmas gifts for her since she will go from a most strict dress code with collared shirts to much more relaxed dress code.  Fashion will definitely be more important so I may need to include some clothes in the gifts.  I guess life is really changing and moving on, but I'm also not sure I'm ready for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The lasts

 It's been a month of lasts.  Today was my last install into my legacy system.  Tomorrow will be my last data conversion.  It's stra...