Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Migraines are awful

Yesterday was another migraine day.  I had plans, since FarmBoy was in the fields, to help with 4H livestock.  We've got sheep moving and walking pretty well so we need to keep it up.  Unfortunately my body had other plans.  I made it most of the day at work, but not all day.  Sprout was at daycare since Nanny1 was helping FarmBoy work in the fields.  She was raised on a farm and knows how to run tillage tools so he was planting while she was tilling.  We only have one field left and it's still a bit wet.  He is waiting to see if it dries out more today then will make the decision on what he's putting in it.  We are not a big farm so if the conditions are right he can be done in around 4 days.  He got part of the planting done the last time the weather cleared and he's trying to finish today before the next round hits.

I get more frequent migraines when I don't sleep enough.  He's been out late and I wake up when he comes in.  Even that little disturbance is enough to up the chance of a headache.  I do take prescription medication when they hit, but it doesn't always work well and I still end up in a dark room and sleeping.  Recovery time is much less than before I started taking medication so that is a positive.  Before medication it would take several days to get over one.  Now it's several hours so that is a huge difference for me.  I also am allergic to dairy and accidental exposure will bring one on too.  I was sent to the emergency room (ER) when a famous coffee company mixed up my drink and gave me milk instead of coconut milk.  I now ask for a clean pitcher from the back and never go through the drive thru.

Dairy is not worth the ER trip because normal medication they give for migraines doesn't work on me.  If you don't know when you are sent to the ER for a migraine they tap and IV and give you liquid benadryl and then an anti nausea medicine.  The combination of the two usually break a migraine.  At least this is what I was told when I was there.  It did nothing for me.  I had two rounds of the anti nausea medication and was still vomiting.  The second medication for that did stop the vomiting, but the headache remained.  After a head CT I was given a very powerful and addictive pain medication to stop it.  It did and I was sent home after that and to a neurologist for a follow up the next day.  That was when I was given the prescription medication and told to expect a rebound headache when the pain medication was out of my system.  Sure enough I got one a day later, but the new medication helped tremendously.

Migraines are frustrating for me because there are times I just can't predict if I will come down with one.  Sometimes when I'm tired I don't get one and make sure I get good sleep that night and all is good.  Other times if I'm the least tired I get one.  My latest round is fatigue related, but also I had a pneumonia vaccine recently that has weakened me some.  Please know I'm not anti vaccine and willingly got it, but my body is just reacting not quite as I expected.  I know in the long run it's good for me, but right now it's just a bit frustrating trying to recover.  I just have to remind myself that God has this and I just need to take the time to rest sometimes.  I rely on him to get me through and give me direction on my treatment.  He has not let me down and has sent really great doctors and nurses that have cared for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The lasts

 It's been a month of lasts.  Today was my last install into my legacy system.  Tomorrow will be my last data conversion.  It's stra...