Tuesday, May 21, 2019

The struggle is real

I'll admit I don't know the feeding plan that Sprout and FarmBoy have going in the barn.  We have cats to keep the mice down and I'm allergic so I really try to stay out of the barn most days.  Sprout is still learning when to increase feed and not always doing it successfully.  I tend to cut her more slack than FarmBoy, but lately I have determined I can't be doing that.  The weather is slowly starting to warm here and we don't have all the pens plumbed yet with automatic water troughs.  It's coming, but we just got all the pens rearranged to bring the feeder calf home.  Sprout sometimes is a bit tired from swim practice and just forgets to top things off.  FarmBoy checks when he gets in from his shift and then gets grumpy.   I'm going to create a simple check list and laminate it for her to take to the barn and then bring back to me when all is done.  If she checks it off and didn't do it then the phone and tablet will be taken away for a few days.  That seems to make the biggest impact. 

There are separate pens for the pigs, big cows, the feeder calf, and 2 different pens for the sheep since the lambs aren't weaned yet.  The big sheep could hurt them so we keep them separate with their momma.  Sprout also is supposed to feed and water the dog and cats that live in the barn.  The dog is new and not in with the sheep yet, but will be soon so food will be an issue, but not water.  This will all get easier when school is out.  She will feed and water before swim and then just check on them when we get home.  Right now I pick her up from school there is not enough time to go home and feed before she's supposed to be at swimming. 

It's just one more area that I need to be organized to cover while he's working.  The struggle to get and keep myself organized is real. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The lasts

 It's been a month of lasts.  Today was my last install into my legacy system.  Tomorrow will be my last data conversion.  It's stra...